House windows - Safety & security for house windows
Saint-Gobain Glass offers a range of glass allowing you to fill interiors with light whilst offering total safety and security.
Safety glass, which can either be tempered or laminated depending on where and how it is being used, protects from the risk of serious injury caused by accidental breakage or impact. When it breaks, it breaks safely thus protecting against the risk of serious injury.
Enhanced security glass helps protect against break-in attempts or vandalism by delaying or even preventing penetration through the glass in the event of forced break in or damage.
How does it work
There are two glass types available to protect against the risk of injury. The choice is made depending on where and how the glazing is being used.
Tempered safety glass has undergone a heat treatment to increase its overall strength. Generally it is 5 times stronger than normal glass. To give an example a piece of 8mm tempered glass can withstand the impact of a 0.5kg steel ball dropped from 2 metres. If the glass does break, it breaks safely into thousands of tiny pieces with dull, safe edges.
Laminated safety glass comprises two pieces of glass held together by one or several plastic films like a glass sandwich! In the effect of breakage or impact, these films hold the glass in place. The glass still breaks into pieces, but they remain adhered to the film(s).
This laminated glass comprises one or more pieces of glass held together by several clear, plastic films. If the glass is broken, the glazing remains in place as the fragments of glass adhere to the plastic films. In the event of attempted break in this will prevent or slow down entry.
Safety glass has many benefits:
- Tempered glass: Avoids potential cuts and injuries as a result of broken glass (for example used in doors, table tops, shower screens etc).
- Laminated glass: glass panes assembled using a single plastic film.
- Basic Protection: Provides protection against the risk of injuries due to accidental breakage (for example windows or patio doors).
- Enhanced Protection: Provides protection against a change in level (e.g. balconies or guarding) and objects falling on to or penetrating the glass (e.g. glass roofs and canopies).
- The pieces of glass stay in place, stuck to the plastic interlayers, until a replacement arrives.
Anti-burglary function: protect your home and possessions from intruders.
- Gain peace of mind from the added security of your windows.
- You remain safe and secure around glazed areas.
- Hinder or even prevent entry by potential burglars.
Enhanced security and safety glass can be combined with other glass functions for additional comfort: winter comfort, acoustic insulation, low-maintenance and decorative glass.